- COOK THE POTATOES:
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender – approximately 25-30 minutes. (The potatoes should be soft and fully cooked and slightly crumbly, but not falling apart). Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- MASH THE POTATOES:
- Using a potato masher or a hand-held electric mixer, mash the potatoes with the cream cheese and sour cream until well-blended and fluffy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the potatoes to a lightly buttered 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. If serving immediately, dot with butter and bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- TO MAKE AHEAD AND REHEAT:
- At this point, the potatoes can be refrigerated for several days or even frozen. Wrap the dish very well with plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Before serving, bring the potatoes to room temperature for 30 minutes. (If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight first).
- Dot with butter, then bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes or until heated through.