Gift of Stock
When you donate stock to charity, you’ll generally take a tax deduction for the full fair market value. And because you are donating stock, your contribution and tax deduction may instantly increase over 20%.
How do I donate stock directly to charity?
To manually donate stock to charity, you’ll fill out a stock transfer form from your brokerage, which is the financial institution that manages your stock assets. In the form, you’ll list information about the stock you want to donate and which charity you want to donate to.
You may be looking for a way to make a significant gift to help further our mission. A bequest is a gift made through your will or trust. It is one of the most popular and flexible ways that you can support our cause.
What are the benefits of making a bequest?
- You leave a lasting legacy to be remembered
- You may lessen the burden of taxes on your family
- You may receive estate tax savings
How do I make a bequest?
A bequest is one of the easiest gifts to make. With the help of an advisor, you can include language in your will or trust specifying a gift be made to family, friends or HNF as part of your estate plan.
What are my options?
A bequest can be made in several ways:
- You can gift a specific dollar amount or asset
- You can gift a percentage of your estate
- You can gift from the balance or residue of your estate
How do I get started?
Please contact us.
IRA Charitable Rollover
An IRA rollover allows people age 70½ and older to reduce their taxable income by making a gift directly from their IRA.
Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to our organization
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help further the work and mission of our organization
How an IRA charitable rollover gift works
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to us.
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to our organization to help continue our important work.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.
- Please contact us if you wish for your gift to be used for a specific purpose.
If you have any questions about an IRA charitable rollover gift, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions.
Stock / Securities
Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift to our organization.
Benefits of gifts of stocks and bonds
- Avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of appreciated stock
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction
- Further our mission today
How to make a gift of stocks and bonds
By electronic transfer – Please contact us for instructions on transferring stock or bonds from your brokerage or investment account to Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation.
By certified mail – If you hold securities in certificate form, you must mail two envelopes separately to complete your gift. In the first envelope, place the unsigned stock certificate(s). In the other envelope, include a signed stock power for each certificate. You may obtain this power from your broker or bank. Please remember to use certified mail.
More on gifts of stocks and bonds
There are special rules for valuing a gift of stock. The value of a charitable gift of stock is determined by taking the mean between the high and low stock price on the gift date. Mutual fund shares are valued using the closing price for the fund on the date of the gift.
Please contact us if you have any questions about gifts of stocks and bonds. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions that you have.
Legal Name: The Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation, Inc.
501(c)(3) organization, classified as a public charity, exempt from federal income tax
New York nonprofit corporation
Organization: Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation
Broker: TD Ameritrade
DTC # 0188
Account # 867033489
Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation
1641 3rd Avenue #28K
New York, NY 10128
Questions? Please contact us!